Saltar al contenido
Pegar imágenes en el foro, mediante equipos móviles ×

La esencia del Audiófilo

[left][center][color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=2]Estimados:[/size][/font][/color][/left][/center]
[left][center][color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=2]Me topé con un artículo de Robert Harley en relación al sentido del Hi End que me pareció muy atingente y atinado para no volvernos neuróticos con toda la parafernalia y poder concentrarnos en lo más importante: la música.[/size][/font][/color][/left][/center]
[left][center][color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=4]
[/size][/font][/color][/left][/center]
[center][center][color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=2]Between the Ears by Robert Harley[/size][/font][/color][/center][/center]
[center][center][color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=4] [/size][/font][/color][/center][/center]
[color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=4]Audiophilesconstantly seek ways to improve the experience of hearing reproduced music.Preamps are upgraded, digital processors are compared, turntables are tweaked,loudspeaker cables are auditioned, dealers are visited, and, yes, magazines areread—all in the quest to get just a little closer to the music. These pursuitshave one thing in common: they are all attempts by physical means to enjoymusic more. But there’s another way of achieving that goal that is far more effectivethan any tweak, better than any component upgrade, and more fulfilling eventhan having carte blanche in the world’s finest high-end store. And it’s free.I’m talking about what goes on between our ears when listening, not what’simpinging on them. The ability—or lack of it—to clear the mind of distractionsand let the music speak to us has a huge influence on how much we enjoy music.Have you ever wondered why, on the same system and recordings, there is a vastrange of involvement in the music? The only variable is our state of mind.Because audiophiles care about sound quality, we are often more susceptible toallowing interfering thoughts to get in the music’s way. These thoughts areusually concerned with aspects[/size][/font][/color][color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=2] [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=4]of the sound’scharacteristics. Does the soundstage lack depth? Does the bass have enoughextension? Is the treble grainy? How does my system compare to those describedin magazines? Unfortunately, this mode of thinking is perpetuated by high-endaudio magazines. The descriptions of a product’s sound—its specific performanceattributes—are what make it into print, not the musical and emotionalsatisfaction to which the product contributes. The latter is ineffable: wordscannot express the bond between listener and music that some productsfacilitate more than others. Consequently, we are left only with descriptionsof specific characteristics that can leave the impression that being anaudiophile is about dissection and critical commentary, and not about moreclosely connecting with the music’s meaning. A few months after I became anaudio reviewer (and a much more critical listener), I underwent a kind ofcrisis; I found myself no longer enjoying music the way I once did. Listeningbecame a chore, an occupational necessity, rather than the deeply movingexperience that made me choose a career in audio. My dilemma was precipitatedby the mistaken impression that whenever I heard music I had to have an opinionabout the quality of its reproduction. Music became secondary to the sound. Musicwas merely an assemblage of parts, something to be dismantled and studied, notsomething that spoke to me emotionally. I found, however, that only after I’dturned in the month’s reviews did the party begin. I stopped being a critic andwas a music lover again. I played favorite records, not those that would tellme what the equipment was doing. The music as a whole, not the sound as anassemblage of artifacts, once again became the object of my attention. It wasas though an enormous burden had been lifted. I made up for lost time in thosefew days before the inevitable return to reviewing as the next month’s productswere set up for critical auditioning. Here I was with a custom-built listeningroom, racks full of the world’s finest audio[/size][/font][/color][color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=2] [/size][/font][/color][color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=4]reproduction equipment, and a job in which I spent a gooddeal of my time listening, yet most of[/size][/font][/color][color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=2] [/size][/font][/color][color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=4]thetime I wasn’t enjoying the music. My cheap car stereo gave more musicalsatisfaction. Something was dreadfully wrong. This experience precipitated acatharsis that forced me to reexamine what music listening—among otherthings—was all about. I decided to forget about the sound for the vast majorityof the listening time and let the music tell me which components were betterthan others. Critical listening and analytical reasoning became secondary tomusical enjoyment. I began listening to music I liked, rather than diagnosticrecordings that would tell me about the product’s specific characteristics. Theimpulse to disassemble, listen to the sound, and constantly form judgmentsgradually disappeared. The result is that I now enjoy music more than at anyother time of my life. Better sound does result in more music, butparadoxically, only when the sound is forgotten. Moreover, this conversionincreased my listening and reviewing skills: I now have a much better feelingfor which products will produce longterm musical satisfaction. Nevertheless,analytical listening using particularly revealing recordings must remain avital part of the reviewing process. Similarly, conveying the specific soniccharacteristics of products under review is essential—potential purchasersshould know what the product sounds like and decide if it’s what they’relooking for. But this type of diagnostic analysis no longer dominates—it hasbecome merely one aspect of reviewing. Moreover, I came to realize that theinformation gained by analytical reasoning is a lower form of knowledge, andthat the feeling about a product’s quality—its ability to convey the music—is ahigher form of knowledge. These experiences point to a deeper problem of howrationality and the impulse toward dissection as the vehicle to understandingpervades Western thought. Traditional rationality views a whole as a collectionof parts. The need to dissect, classify, and assign hierarchical structure isthe very foundation of rationality. Our Western upbringing makes it seem sonatural that any entity is merely an assemblage of component parts. Why shouldreproduced music be[/size][/font][/color][color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=2] [/size][/font][/color][color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=4]any different? Consequently, we hear inreproduced music treble, bass, midrange, soundstage, detail, and air. But howoften at a live concert do you dismantle the sound the same way you do whenlistening to a hi-fi? I don’t know about you, but I never experience live musicin terms of tonal balance, depth, lack of grain, or other characteristics weassign to reproduced sound. Consider two approaches to knowing a flower.Traditional rationality would pick it, dissect it, classify its parts, andattempt to understand and document its mechanisms. Another way to know theflower would be to just sit and look at it, appreciating its beauty,discovering subtleties in shape, color, smell, texture, and just absorbing itsessence. The first method produces one kind of knowing—an important one, to besure—but it isn’t a complete knowledge. Moreover, doesn’t the first methoddestroy something in the process—namely, the flower? After the dissection isfinished we find ourselves left with nothing. This is why I nolonger enjoyedmusic; the analytical dismantling consumed the very thing I was trying to know.By allowing intellectual thought to intrude, the oneness between music andlistener is destroyed. The great accomplishments of rationality—makingreproduced music possible in the first place, for example—produces a hubristhat tempts one to overlook the virtues of nonrational experience. Rationalitycan point to its achievements as “proof” of its superiority. The kind ofknowing produced by nonrational experience can point to no physicalmanifestations of its value. Instead, the worth is completely internal andunknowable by anyone who hasn’t experienced it firsthand. But it isn’t justlistening analytically to the sound that interferes with musical enjoyment. Anyintellectual activity diminishes the experience. It is the quality of thelistening experience that matters—the here and now—not an assignment of valueas measured against some standard promulgated by hi-fi magazines, comparisonswith other systems, or anything else that distracts from the music.[/size][/font][/color][color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=2] [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#262626][font=Georgia][size=4]There’snothing wrong with being dissatisfied with your system; that’s what fuelsimprovement. And a better system does produce a deeper musical experience. Butyou shouldn’t enjoy music any less if your system falls short of a friend’ssystem, or if you don’t have the latest hot product, or if the sound doesn’tequal that described in magazines. These things are artificial inventionssuperimposed on reality, not the reality itself. What really matters is theexperience—immediate, here-and-now existence. All other thoughts or intellectualabstractions diminish our potential for a oneness with the music. In this wayof thinking (or, more precisely, not thinking), musical fulfillment is nolonger dependent on external means. Yes, the technology that brings music intoour homes is physical and external, but satisfaction cannot be experiencedpurely through the equipment, no matter how good it is. Instead, getting closerto the music is a special interaction between music and listener, the equipmentmerely serving as intermediary. Without this state of mind, no level ofequipment will provide us with what we seek. My temporary lack of musicalenjoyment, despite having a custom-built room filled with top-notch products,affirmed this truism. By all means, continue critiquing and upgrading yoursystem—it can be a path to more musical enjoyment. But when a favorite recordgoes on the turntable and the lights dim, forget about cables, preamps, tweaks,and magazines. At that moment, the only thing that really matters is the music.[/size][/font][/color]

Enlace al comentario
Compartir en otros sitios

Buen consejo, no darle tantas vueltas ni complicarse en demasía, ojalá poder dedicarse más a disfrutar de la música y no tanto en buscar y buscar mejora tras mejora . . . [img]http://www.hifichile.cl/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img] . . . escuchar tranquilamente, alejarse un poco de estar siempre evaluando, comparando, probando, cambiando, etc. [img]http://www.hifichile.cl/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img] . . .

Stereo 1º: Power Vicent SP-331 MK híbrido, Pre Vicent SA-31 MK híbrido, Streamer DAC Cocktail Audio X45CD, Avance Acústic MCD-204 híbrido, Columnas Klipsch RF7-II, Xindak XF-1000 SE

Stéreo 2º: Amplificador Marantz PM-7003, CD Denon DCM-500AE, Columnas KEF Q900 

Multicanal 1º: Receiver Onkyo TX-RZ820, Reproductor 4K Pasnasonic DP UB420, BR Marantz BD-5004, BR Onkyo BD-SP309, Samsung Led 85 `4K FHD, Columnas Lagas P28 Reference - Central P26 - Surrounds P6D,  Surround High Polk XT90 Atmos, Subwoofer Klipsch 112, Subwoofer Paradigm PS-1000

Multicanal 2º: Receiver Onkyo TX-SR607, Samsung Led 75" FHD, Monitores Klipsch RB 81 II - Central Klipsch RP-504C - Surrounds Klipsch  KSB 1.1, Subwoofer Klipsch R-125W, Subwoofer Wharfedale Slim Bass 8

Multicanal 3º: Sound Bar Klipsch RSB-11, Subwoofer Klipsch 8", Samsung  Led 43" 4K FHD

Home Office: HP 27", Klipsch Reference 51-PM (activas), Ifi Zen Dac Blue, Subwoofwer Wharfedale WH-S8E

Oficina: Receiver stereo Onkyo TX-8050, Ifi Zen Dac Blue, Monitores Klipsch RP 160-M, Monitores Polk RTi A3, Monitores Eminence CN5, Subwoofer Wharfedale Powercube 12+

Enlace al comentario

[quote name='Geno' date='15 August 2012 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1345063412' post='148906']
Buen consejo, no darle tantas vueltas ni complicarse en demasía, ojalá poder dedicarse más a disfrutar de la música y no tanto en buscar y buscar mejora tras mejora . . . [img]http://www.hifichile.cl/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img] . . . escuchar tranquilamente, alejarse un poco de estar siempre evaluando, comparando, probando, cambiando, etc. [img]http://www.hifichile.cl/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img] . . .
[/quote]

x2^n+1 :)

Enlace al comentario

El mejor upgrade que he encontrado es un buen Campari/naranja... sentarse tranquilamente en tu sillón favorito a escuchar música al atardecer con un buen tragueli es algo que hace que todo el ajetreo del día valga la pena.

Si tu woofer no te sacude las vísceras hasta hacerte mear sangre...  pues no es un woofer.

Enlace al comentario

Exactamente, nada como un buen sillon, un espirituoso y silencio alrededor para disfrutar la música

Digitalizándome!

Caminando entre transistores y válvulas.

Enlace al comentario

[quote name='Geno' date='15 August 2012 - 04:43 PM' timestamp='1345063412' post='148906']
[/quote]

Opino lo mismo... [i]¿No es, acaso, la música más importante que el audio?[/i] :blush:

¿Qué es el hombre, para que tengas de él memoria?

Enlace al comentario

Encuentro que no estamos tan perdidos, el tema del artículo es recurrente tirando a cliché. El que escribe trabaja en eso, haciendo reviews. Y de más que frecuentemente termina chato y se encuentra escuchando sin realmente disfrutar. Un sommelier o cronista de vinos probablemente pasa por lo mismo.

Acá en el foro pareciera que pasa eso porque es un foro principalmente de audio y no de música, es lo que nos convoca y de esto es lo que se conversa puh! Salvo un par de orates más obsesivo-compulsivos que el resto (Ojo que digo más, todos lo somos :) ) la mayoría escuchamos harta música con agrado, e incluso los más "probones" estoy seguro que igual lo hacen.

Mi actividad conlleva escuchar mucha música y probar hartos equipos, y no significa que no goce con la música. Hay días que prefiero estar en silencio para poder volver a escuchar con el oído y la mente fresca.

El gusto por los fierros y la música van de la mano, pero muchas veces corren por carriles distintos. En el hobby de la bicicleta hay harta conversa de fierros y componentes y revistas, etc, pero rara vez un ciclista por consumista o coleccionista que sea no disfruta de andar en bicicleta.

Se le pone mucho color a que nos desligamos de la música por la locura audiófila.

Editado por Voh Poh

Vinieron los sarracenos / y nos molieron a palos, / Que Dios está con los malos / cuando son más que los buenos.

Enlace al comentario

<_<<_<<_<

si, claro, leyendo reviews para una futura mejora... enterrado en internet y no disfrutando lo que se tiene.... he pensado mucho en lo mismo, escuchar dejando de lado la búsqueda de criticas que hacerle al equipito o equipaso que tengamos.... solo música.

creo que en esto se corre muy frecuentemente este riesgo.

"Los que más han amado al ser humano le han hecho siempre el máximo daño. Han exigido de él lo imposible, como todos los amantes."

F. Nietzsche

Enlace al comentario

Recuerdo haber tardado casi una hora entre prueba y prueba en mis equipos de antes,en cual se escuchaba mejor un pasaje o si sonaban mas los agudos ,que se yo ..cuando llegaba por fin el momento de sentarse a escuchar y disfrutar ,el tiempo ya se había agotado y yo también.
por eso hoy solo enciendo solo 2 aparatos y a disfrutar.Conseguí mi sonido y con ello mi tranquilidad...

Enlace al comentario

[quote name='Voh Poh' date='16 August 2012 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1345131130' post='149024']
Encuentro que no estamos tan perdidos, el tema del artículo es recurrente tirando a cliché. El que escribe trabaja en eso, haciendo reviews. Y de más que frecuentemente termina chato y se encuentra escuchando sin realmente disfrutar. Un sommelier o cronista de vinos probablemente pasa por lo mismo.

Acá en el foro pareciera que pasa eso porque es un foro principalmente de audio y no de música, es lo que nos convoca y de esto es lo que se conversa puh! Salvo un par de orates más obsesivo-compulsivos que el resto (Ojo que digo más, todos lo somos :) ) la mayoría escuchamos harta música con agrado, e incluso los más "probones" estoy seguro que igual lo hacen.

Mi actividad conlleva escuchar mucha música y probar hartos equipos, y no significa que no goce con la música. Hay días que prefiero estar en silencio para poder volver a escuchar con el oído y la mente fresca.

El gusto por los fierros y la música van de la mano, pero muchas veces corren por carriles distintos. En el hobby de la bicicleta hay harta conversa de fierros y componentes y revistas, etc, pero rara vez un ciclista por consumista o coleccionista que sea no disfruta de andar en bicicleta.

Se le pone mucho color a que nos desligamos de la música por la locura audiófila.
[/quote]

Aunque es cierto que el tema es "recurrente tirando a cliché" creo que es importante recordarlo de vez en cuando ya que la tendencia va generalmente a obsesionarse, como la mayoría de los forestas comenten. Me gustó el artículo porque era escrito por alguien que está constantemente confrontado con ese dilema y el hecho de que haya podido auto-observarse y auto-concientizarse me parece muy loable y digno de imitación.

Enlace al comentario

[quote name='jsc010' date='17 August 2012 - 09:38 AM' timestamp='1345207130' post='149265']
bueno, tema ya comentado.

el mejor antidoto para mi cuando me empiezan a venir atosigamientos acerca de porque no suena asi o asa o que pudiera sonar mejor... me acuerdo de mi primer equipo, radiocassete. listo, gracias por lo que tengo.

lo otro es dejar de escuchar tu equipo... jajaja, dificil pero no es talla. Estuve dos semanas de vacas sin acceso a musica y cuando volví me sonaba a gloria.
[/quote]

x2 B)

Vinieron los sarracenos / y nos molieron a palos, / Que Dios está con los malos / cuando son más que los buenos.

Enlace al comentario

x3

Claro que escuché casi 3 años en un Phillips muy simple y desde hace 4 meses escucho en un "disco volador" JBL. Ya extraño un montón mis equipos. Hasta el Phillips lo extraño :P

Enlace al comentario

[quote name='Robert de Saint-Loup' date='16 August 2012 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1345130427' post='149018']
Por eso yo hace un par de años dejé de ser audiófilo y volví a ser melómano. :)
[/quote]

Pero si ese es el objetivo del hobbie el producto final, no hay nada más fustrante que ir a una audición y te ponen un tema y no ha avanzado ni un minuto y te lo cortan o cambian.

Enlace al comentario

[quote name='Nibelungo' date='17 August 2012 - 10:31 AM' timestamp='1345210296' post='149278']
[quote name='Robert de Saint-Loup' date='16 August 2012 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1345130427' post='149018']
Por eso yo hace un par de años dejé de ser audiófilo y volví a ser melómano. :)
[/quote]

Pero si ese es el objetivo del hobbie el producto final, no hay nada más fustrante que ir a una audición y te ponen un tema y no ha avanzado ni un minuto y te lo cortan o cambian.
[/quote]

Es que las audiciones con varias personas si que son para escuchar los equipos, imposible concentrarse en la música mucho rato entre los cambios de equipos y el parloteo de los oyentes ya que es La oportunidad para hablar con otras personas que se interesan en un tema que no pesca nadie más, es como que a uno lo tuvieran amarrado :lol:

Editado por Voh Poh

Enlace al comentario

si, bueno, yo en estos momentos no me enredo tanto en mejorar lo que tengo, no es que no tenga ganas, es que me parece mas importante equipar otros espacios con audio de buena calidad, para disfrutar de musica en otros espacios del hogar que tambien ocupo......

pero cuando pienso en eso caigo en opciones como cambiar mis frontales y pasar los que tengo a esos espacios....... entonces termino mordiendome la cola pensando en como sonaría mi equipo principal con unos frontales de gama media alta y ..... <_<<_<<_< termino cuestionando lo que se supone no cuestiono :lol::lol::lol::lol:

"Los que más han amado al ser humano le han hecho siempre el máximo daño. Han exigido de él lo imposible, como todos los amantes."

F. Nietzsche

Enlace al comentario

Igual, creo que es muy difícil evitar no descomponer la música y el sonido en general cuando has escuchado en equipos de mejor calidad. Cuando por primera vez escuché música en un equipo de cierto nivel, no podía creer lo que estaba escuchando. Me acuerdo que fue con unas ProAc creo que D25, con un ampli Audionet y un SACD Marantz. Quedé pa dentro!!! Hasta ese entonces, para mi lo mejor en sonido era Technics, Yamaha o Pionner. Después fuimos donde otro cliente del dealer de la ProAc que tenía unas Sonus Amati y unos monoblock Audionet y CD de la misma marca. No se si fue para mejor o pa peor je je. Impresionante!!!
En fin, la cosa es que ahora no puedo no descomponer la música en frecuencias; sin embargo, aún puedo disfrutar de la música sin problemas, a pesar de no tener el mejor sonido actualamente. Claro que debo reconocer, que igual ando mirando algunas cosillas :zippytanax: je je je
Creo que inevitable!!!

Salu2

Enlace al comentario