Saltar al contenido
Pegar imágenes en el foro, mediante equipos móviles ×

Me gusta la filosofía de Harbeth

Robert de Saint-Loup

Algunas citas sobre los parlantes Harbeth, por su diseñador, Alan Shaw:

In evolutionary terms, music is a very new invention dating back only 35,000 years or so and is not, in practice, as analytical a 'test source' as one might hope for. Our auditory system has been honed by evolution for the interpretation of human vocal sounds, not music. Most loudspeakers are coloured to greater or lesser extent, and the use of recorded speech is devastatingly revealing of loudspeaker artifacts in a way that music, unfortunately, is not. With some practice you can become really skilled at interpreting recorded voice on conventional loudspeakers so that buzz words like "nasal", "beaky", "quacky" and "honky" become self-evident.
--

So, by definition, the majority of musical energy falls in an audio band equivalent to that of disconnecting the tweeters on your loudspeakers. It also means that the defining quality of a loudspeaker system is not at the extremities of the 20Hz to 20kHz audio band but in the lower-middle through to the 'presence' region: only about one quarter of that full audio band.
--

Whilst there are many examples of technically excellent recordings there are few recordings which can be trusted as having captured the bloom and warmth of the performance without processing, equalisation and the use of large numbers of spot microphones to showcase individual instruments. A concert really isn't like that at all: [b]live sound is warm, lush and clean, has a huge dynamic range in reserve, and the instruments intermingle into a floating curtain of sound that is quite unlike most people's impression of home hi-fi.[/b]
--

Thanks to our speech-based origins in broadcasting, humans are extremely sensitive to the quality of, and energy distribution through, the all-important 'speech band' (see Q1). This runs from about 100Hz right up (and through) the crossover region and beyond into the high frequencies. The importance of making this band sound 'right' (in side-by-side comparison with the original, live sound) is absolutely critical to 'the Harbeth sound'.
--

It is fundamentally risky to divide-up the audio spectrum and feed it to different drive units such as a bass/min and tweeter. To sound natural, this will entirely depend upon the blending of the sound waves from these two physically different sources in your ear. So, we spend most of our design time adjusting the crossover until the roll-up of the tweeter and roll-down of the bass/mid is seamless, because this is mandatory to fool the listener's ear into believing that he's actually at the recording hearing the sound live
--

Harbeth speakers are deliberately designed to sound just like real life when played at a normal, reasonable level. They do not need to be driven hard and unlike many other speakers that do not need to be pushed to 'come alive'. We have achieved this with an understanding of how the human ear perceives sound and this is reflected in the energy balance across the band. We all have a responsibility to protect our ears{...}
--

All Harbeth cabinets are based on the pioneering BBC [b]thin-wall[/b] concept using lightweight, damped panels loaded with bitumen or similar on the inside. [b]Such panels absorb resonance in the all-critical middle frequencies[/b] where the ear is most sensitive.
--

Harbeth speakers will work with any normal grade, audiophile or regular grade amplifier that is performing within its original specification. They will work better with a really good amp, but they will work well with even a modest hi-fi receiver-amplifier
--

Harbeths present an easy electrical load to their driving amplifiers. They are deliberately designed to be so.
--

Harbeth speakers do not need big amplifiers. Generally speaking, 25W per channel is a sensible minimum across the range. That will get you going but 25W won't produce the maximum loudness that a Harbeth is capable of: for that you'll need a bigger amp
--

Harbeth speakers do not need fancy cable. Anything available that is reasonably thick will work OK. QED 79 strand (see attached picture) or 5A electrical flex will get you going. Simple, un-cool standard flex is all you need.
--

Harbeth speakers do not need exotic stands. You can use wooden stands or metal or plastic stands. We use them all through development and critical listening. {...}The key point is to raise the tweeter to about ear level.
--

Harbeth speakers work in single-wire or bi-wire mode. The bi-wire terminals are provided on some models for user experimentation only. We cannot detect any sonic difference between using your Harbeths in single-wire of bi-wire mode in our listening room.
--

The more damping you have throughout your listening room generally the better the overall sound. Taming the reflections always improves the stereo experience because your brain can concentrate only on the direct sound from the stereo speakers. All reflections are distractions and force your brain to work harder than needed to eliminate those unwanted signals.
--

[b]Harbeth speakers sound great even when played at a moderate, socially considerate levels. This is a direct consequence of our design heritage and BBC roots.[/b]
--

Stress should never, ever be part of the wonderful experience of listening to music at home. Music is therapy and nothing should stand in its path. As I have said, there is no need to put yourself through hell. Harbeth speakers will work just fine with whatever equipment you have to hand. They (the Harbeth speakers) do not demand that you spend time, money and energy chasing around for new electronics, cables, stands etc.. That is your choice. {...} You are here with Harbeth because you want to listen to music not because you are a so-called audiophile. You've (hopefully) left all that anxiety behind you! I am not an audiophile - let me reassure you that it's the music that's all important!

{He} touches on the bigger question 'why is our society so fearful?' Fear about the economy. Fear about our diet, Fear about bugs and diseases. Fear about our hair, our clothes, skin wrinkles, our environment. It's endless. Fear gives strangers power over us. We allow ourselves to be manipulated by the media, compelled to spend ever more money on our hi-fi systems. The solution is simple: [b]to live harmoniously we need good music and the best hi-fi we can reasonably afford within our budget[/b]. Turn off the TV - turn on the hi-fi and enjoy the therapy of music right at your fingertips within the comfort of your own home over which you can have total control. Bliss!

Enlace al comentario
Compartir en otros sitios

Sabía de estos parlante a raiz de una revista que recibo de la acoustic sounds. Siempre los han mostrado como la papa. De todos modos parece que los usan como monitores de estudio, especialmente para probar grabaciones que va a ir a vinilo (la acoustic sound tiene un estudio para grabar vinilos...no recuerdo cómo se llama). Son feitos eso si, pero no son tan caros, Hagamos una vaca para traernos un par de esos y después lo rematamos. B)

Editado por fray
Enlace al comentario

Estaba invitado ayer a escucharlos , tenía un compromiso de colegio .
Mi amigo que fue a escucharlos me dijo que eran maravillosos , pura naturalidad y encanto a la paila.
Cuando pueda les mando el modelo . .

Soy importador y distribuidor de marcas high-end para Chile. 

Enlace al comentario

[quote name='fray' date='04 December 2010 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1291477250' post='32650']
De todos modos parece que los usan como monitores de estudio
[/quote]

Monitor Series

The biggest single UK customer is the BBC which uses Harbeth speakers for critical broadcast monitoring and quality control in its studios both here and in news bureaux around the world.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/uk/index.php?section=products&page=endorsements

We all complete. Maybe none of us really understand what we've lived through, or feel we've had enough time.

Enlace al comentario

Buena filosofía...
[quote]They (the Harbeth speakers) do not demand that you spend time, money and energy chasing around for new electronics, cables, stands etc.. That is your choice. {...} You are here with Harbeth because you want to listen to music not because you are a so-called audiophile. You've (hopefully) left all that anxiety behind you! I am not an audiophile - let me reassure you that it's the music that's all important![/quote]

Enlace al comentario

[quote name='lag' date='04 December 2010 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1291482538' post='32656']
Mi amigo que fue a escucharlos me dijo que eran maravillosos , pura naturalidad y encanto a la paila.
[/quote]

Víctor, y quién los trae a Chile? O los importó alguien directo sólo para él?

Enlace al comentario

[quote name='Robert de Saint-Loup' date='06 December 2010 - 10:19 AM' timestamp='1291648742' post='32868']
[quote name='lag' date='04 December 2010 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1291482538' post='32656']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Son de la misma persona que me vendió los Tannoy. El los trajo directamente , son el modelo más pequeño y reemplazaron en su casa y en este orden:
Tannoy canterbury y luego las Dyna C4. Imagínate como sonarán.
El dueño tiene años de experiencia con sistemas filete y está absolutamente feliz con estas cajas.

La pregunta de rigor , es como cresta sonarán las cajas más grandes??? :huh::blink::o

Soy importador y distribuidor de marcas high-end para Chile. 

Enlace al comentario

[quote name='lag' date='06 December 2010 - 11:28 AM' timestamp='1291649281' post='32870']
[quote name='Robert de Saint-Loup' date='06 December 2010 - 10:19 AM' timestamp='1291648742' post='32868']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Son de la misma persona que me vendió los Tannoy. El los trajo directamente , son el modelo más pequeño y reemplazaron en su casa y en este orden:
El dueño tiene años de experiencia con sistemas filete y está absolutamente feliz con estas cajas.

La pregunta de rigor , es como cresta sonarán las cajas más grandes??? :huh::blink::o
[/quote]

Shusha :blink: . Las más chicas de la serie residencial son las Monitor 20 y las sucesoras de las LS3/5a (el modelo no lo recuerdo, pero es algo como pr5es no sé qué mierda, como pa seguir con el nombre extraño de las LS3/5a :lol: ). Ambos son monitores tamaño shoe-box, y cuestan apenas 2 mil y pico dólares, o sea, son relativamente económicos comparados a los otros parlantes que mencionas, aunque no deja de ser harta plata por un mini monitor.

Sorprendente en todo caso. Cuando vayas a escucharlas, si puedes encaletar a un vicioso del audio, me avisai, ya? h

Enlace al comentario

Estos M40 son la rx. No son grandes pero suenan como una torre enorme. 84 db, 34-20.000, 6 ohm.
En la foto con un Plinius:

[img]http://www.my-hiend.idv.tw/artical/2004/20040101/92harbeth002.jpg[/img]

Enlace al comentario

[quote name='caello' date='06 December 2010 - 09:47 AM' timestamp='1291643262' post='32834']
Buena filosofía...
[quote]They (the Harbeth speakers) do not demand that you spend time, money and energy chasing around for new electronics, cables, stands etc.. That is your choice. {...} You are here with Harbeth because you want to listen to music not because you are a so-called audiophile. You've (hopefully) left all that anxiety behind you! I am not an audiophile - let me reassure you that it's the music that's all important![/quote]
[/quote]

Si lo dice la gente de Harbeth speakers ....

Editado por AudioLuthier

"El día del gran debate, cuando llegue la realidad a arbitrar quién estaba en lo cierto, te pasará como hoy: igual que se burlan de tus razones porque estás en minoría se burlarán de tus derechos si no puedes defenderlos de una manera efectiva.

Será como en mi novela: el miedo se impondrá a cualquier consideración, y unos por supervivencia y otros por placer, impondrán la ley del “me da igual lo que dijiste. Hoy han cambiado las reglas”. Y será de nuevo la gran purga. La de los inocentes, los ingenuos, y los comeflores."

Javier Pérez

Enlace al comentario

[quote name='Robert de Saint-Loup' date='04 December 2010 - 11:31 AM' timestamp='1291476663' post='32648']

[b]Harbeths present an easy electrical load to their driving amplifiers. They are deliberately designed to be so.[/b]

[b]Harbeth speakers do not need fancy cable. Anything available that is reasonably thick will work OK. QED 79 strand (see attached picture) or 5A electrical flex will get you going. Simple, un-cool standard flex is all you need. [/b]

[b]We cannot detect any sonic difference between using your Harbeths in single-wire of bi-wire mode in our listening room.[/b]

[b]Harbeth speakers sound great even when played at a moderate, socially considerate levels. [/b]

Stress should never, ever be part of the wonderful experience of listening to music at home. Music is therapy and nothing should stand in its path. As I have said, there is no need to put yourself through hell. Harbeth speakers will work just fine with whatever equipment you have to hand. [b]They (the Harbeth speakers) do not demand that you spend time, money and energy chasing around for new electronics, cables, stands etc..[/b] ....You are here with Harbeth because you want to listen to music not because you are a so-called audiophile.

{He} touches on the bigger question [b]'why is our society so fearful?' Fear about the economy. Fear about our diet, Fear about bugs and diseases. Fear about our hair, our clothes, skin wrinkles, our environment. It's endless. Fear gives strangers power over us. We allow ourselves to be manipulated by the media[/b]
[/quote]

De entre las citas, estas en particular deben tener a mas de un insigne forero convulsionando, considerando que no son opiniones mias ni de Jackor.. :P Con la ultima cita me parece que el señor diseñador is a so called leftist party member.

Editado por AudioLuthier

"El día del gran debate, cuando llegue la realidad a arbitrar quién estaba en lo cierto, te pasará como hoy: igual que se burlan de tus razones porque estás en minoría se burlarán de tus derechos si no puedes defenderlos de una manera efectiva.

Será como en mi novela: el miedo se impondrá a cualquier consideración, y unos por supervivencia y otros por placer, impondrán la ley del “me da igual lo que dijiste. Hoy han cambiado las reglas”. Y será de nuevo la gran purga. La de los inocentes, los ingenuos, y los comeflores."

Javier Pérez

Enlace al comentario

Me encuentro un poco confundido, respecto a las LS3/5a, creia que las fabicaba Rogers, pero no es mas que un clon del original. Son muy recomendadas para amp a tubos a pesar de su baja sensibilidad, debido a su excelente estabilidad de la impedancia en todo el rango dinamico la cual nunca baja de 6 ohms.

Tambien se encuantra, era que no; el clon chino de estos monitores y no se si aun los vendan en forma de kit, prometen hasta un 80% de british sound!!!.

http://www.gini.com/index.php?id=35a

Saludillos

Editado por AudioLuthier

Javier Pérez

Enlace al comentario

Tienen que ser ricas cajas, espero que mi exceso de confianza no me haga meter la pata con este comentario. No pasa nada con el Sonido tan british.

De todo lo british que hay solo un par de marcas me dejo contento. Si esta marca tiene buen renombre es por sus diseños anteriores.

17103019862_835d3f1270_o.png
Enlace al comentario

Yo le pregunté a unos grigos que las venden ¿Y...qué tal...suenan como las venden? Estos gallos venden Focal, Avalon y varias otras detacadas. "Yes sir" me dijeron. "There's nothing like that natural sound, dramatic natural sound..." o algo así, fue hace como 2 años atrás. Las M40 costaban como usd 9000pr y las M30 como 4000pr.
Igual creo que pueden exagerar la idea, pero al parecer la idea es el sonido natural con mucho detalle.

Enlace al comentario

[quote name='lag' date='06 December 2010 - 11:28 AM' timestamp='1291649281' post='32870']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Tan bien como cualquier otra caja wena pos weon !!, es solo un sonido distinto al de las cajas que antes tuvo y se acostumbro, perdiendo la capacidad de conectarse con su sonido..... es solo otro huevon mas con deficit atencional..... no quiere decir que sean cajas superiores a las otras, solo son distintas. Hay innumerables casos de saltos para el lado y tambien hacia abajo, hasta hay gente que cambia Tannoy o JBL por Eggleston !!

Se puede decir lo mismo de muchisimas cajas pos wn.... ATC, Spendor, Usher, Harbeth, Tannoy, Focal, Dyna, Wilson, SF, Opera y siempre habra gente que pulule picoteando de una a otra y sintiendose en el cielo por pocos dias cada vez que cambian.

Esta lleno de weones enfermos del hoyo que con cada hueva nueva se juran en el cielo y con lo mejor del mundo y rejuran que es lo mejor que han escuchado... despues al tiempo cambian inexplicablemente su maravilla por una hueva mas penca, es como los que se casan 10 veces porque se enamoran de cada mina nueva aunque sea mas mala que la anterior.... necesitan siempre estar con un juguetito nuevo pa sentirse bien. That´s all....

DISIDENTE

Enlace al comentario

[quote name='AudioLuthier' date='07 December 2010 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1291730516' post='33136']
Me encuentro un poco confundido, respecto a las LS3/5a, creia que las fabicaba Rogers,
[/quote]

Las han fabricado varias compañías a lo largo del tiempo; la última creo que fue Stirling Broadcast. La primera, no sé; sé que los primeros drivers los desarrolló KEF. Tal vez los mismos ingenieros de la BBC armaban las cajas.

En todo caso, los drivers ya no existen, y los modelos que hoy en día hacen Harbeth y Spendor son herederos del ls3, pero son distintos.

Enlace al comentario